Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you see those Reno fire photos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zydeco

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Did you see those Reno fire photos? Reply with quote

Don't know if this will show up, but this photo of the fire in South Reno with the downtown core was really striking.

Whoa.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383659_244604775601370_157117197683462_706328_1831838778_n.jpg
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Whoa is right! Reply with quote

That is striking. Hard to believe when up here in the Pacific Northwest/ British Columbia area, you couldn't light a fire now with a welding torch!
JD

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Fires Reply with quote

Unbelievable. The RGJ has a google map that citizens are adding to at real time. Friday 2: 15 pm: Latest says "unconfirmed smoke near Bowers' Mansion..."

And here in Portland, it rained over an inch last night, and my firewood gets wet carrying it in from the woodshed...50 feet !!

It must have been really windy to spread out one fire to so many locations.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: "Today's Fire Danger: Realized" Reply with quote

And just look at us, a bunch of smoking avatars! Tsk!

Not to make light of *yet another* reno-region tragedy - for goodness' sakes, what's up with this year???

Maybe if I go to Reno and offer a sacrifice to the gambling gods, they will be sated for a time?

Probably thinking too highly of myself....but it gives me an excuse to go to Reno!
JD

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Fire Reply with quote

The cynical side of me (which happens to be right near the surface) wonders how many of those homes are "under water" as in "on fire" AND "under water".

"For Sale"..."Short Sale offers accepted", "Must sell", "Bank Owed".
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: He's OK Reply with quote

For those of you who might be concerned about him, Mr. Reno (John) is OK. I just got off the phone with him.

(That's extra good news, since his evacuation plan was to move in with us!)
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Jerry Reply with quote

Jerry, if you still have the same level of affection for smoke, now might not be the best time to visit Reno.
steve

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe with all the smoke in the air no one will notice me puffing away on my cigars tomorrow.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: He's OK Reply with quote

BC Dave wrote:
For those of you who might be concerned about him, Mr. Reno (John) is OK. I just got off the phone with him.

(That's extra good news, since his evacuation plan was to move in with us!)

Heck, Dave...Even though the fire danger is history, I'd move in with you guys if you're willing to support me in the manner to which I'd like to be accustomed. I hear Canada is beautiful this time of year.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: He's OK Reply with quote

john wrote:
I hear Canada is beautiful this time of year.

Burwash Landing, Yukon Territory

Updated: Nov 20, 2011, 3:52pm Local TimeToday

Right Now
Mostly Cloudy -15°F
Feels Like: -15°
Chance of Snow: 20%
Wind: Calm
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point:-24°
Pressure: 29.26 in
Visibility: 0.8 mi
UV Index: 0 - Low

To each his own, I guess.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: It's in the eye of the beholder. Reply with quote

John wrote:

I hear Canada is beautiful this time of year.

It's like "black and white photography beauty". As long as you can handle white on normal days, grey on warm days and black the rest of the time.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Mon 21, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: On second thought... Reply with quote

Never mind. I thought Canada was like Hawaii. You do have palm trees, don't you?
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Mon 21, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: On second thought... Reply with quote

John wrote:
You do have palm trees, don't you?

Janice and I actually do have two "Windmill Palms" in pots. They're a particularly hardy type of palm, but we still worry about them every winter when a cold snap hits. We're on the west coast (or wet coast) so the weather extremes I described in my post above, don't really apply to us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: