Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving from Oregon, Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckMan

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Driving from Oregon, Help! Reply with quote

Though I'm a regular visitor to Reno, we have never driven, always fly in. I'm considering driving over (1st week of April). I know several of you from OR drive regularly. I'd appreciate your help and tips. Any good stops half-way or so, or is it better to do the whole drive in a day? Wife doesn't really like long car trips, so I need to compromise! I'm open to suggestions.

Mapquest has me going down I-5 to Dunsmuir, then taking CA-89 East thru Susanville. Then down 395 into Reno.

What's the best driving route from Eugene to Reno, in your opinion?
alison

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
That is the route that i usually go. There is another route that bypasses susanville, but i dont care for it just for the fact that its a lot of winding roads and one lane roads. The drive from Eugene is not that far. I drive from the seattle, wa area every year. That's much farther. It usually takes us about 12.5 hrs with all of our potty breaks! Confused

Alison
JD

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Fastest Drive vrs Most Scenic Reply with quote

I prefer to drive from Portland to Reno for a variety of reasons. I've taken many of the different routes, all of which have something to offer.

I also have a GPS and have compared average speed, true distance (not odometer) and elapsed time (both while only in motion and including stops).

The fundamental issue is that you must get from the I-5 corridor to Hwy 395 SOMEWHERE and it is this portion of the trip that has the biggest potential to lower your average speed and hence time travelling. In the winter, all options have the risk of greatly reduced speeds.

My fastest route and approx mileage from previous landmark:

South on I-5 109 miles to Exit 188 Hwy 58 (sign to Oakridge)

East on Hwy 58 thru Oakridge 85 miles to Hwy 97 (sign to K. Falls)
South on Hwy 97 thru Chemult 77 miles to Klamath Falls
Entering K Falls look for Reno/Alturas signs "HWY 39"
South on OREGON HWY 39 24 miles to TuleLake CA

DO NOT SPEED THRU MERLIN OR MERRILL

Oregon Hwy 39 changes name to California 139
South on CA Hwy 139 55 miles to Hwy 299 at T. (unsure distance?)
(Right turn here also a mountain Reno route is slower but more scenic)
LEFT at Hwy 299 (sign to Alturas)
East (sign may say North) on Hwy 299 19 miles to Alturas
Right at Hwy 395 (sign to Susanville/Reno)
South on 395 88 miles to Litchfield/Standish (signs to Susanville)
At Texaco station Turn Left (South on A-3) Susanville by-pass
A-3 South thru farm country 9 miles to RE-Intersect w/ 395 (saves 20 mi)
South on 395 (sign to Reno) 77 miles to I-80

You should be able to average 60 mph (7 1/2 hrs) on this route. Should be 432 miles from I-5 at Hwy 58 exit. Buy gas at Albertsons in K Falls... low price and car wash for $ 1 w/ fill up.

http://iloveoregon.com/images/highway-full.gif
alison

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the route that JD speaks of and i personally dont prefer it as there are a lot of one lane windy roads. Its alright, i just prefer highways.

Alison
JD

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Routes to Reno de Genero Reply with quote

And THAT'S why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.

My average speed from Tulelake to Reno is far higher than on I-5...with the exception of the 19 miles before Alturas and the 9 miles on A-3.

All flavors but Pralines and Cream suck. And I'd rather be a Beaver than a Duck!

JD
DuckMan

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and advice Alison and JD. I think I'll give JD's route a try (even if the advice comes from a Beaver!).
thecatsmeow

PostPosted: Mar Thu 02, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone both ways. I like Alisons way better due to wider roads and I have a problem with lead foot itis when driving on long winding roads. Last time recieved 2 tickets on the route JD likes. Darn sneaky cops!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: