Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIVE trip report - May 9 to May 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spdmrcht

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling it makes my skin crawl. I made the mistake of
signing on for a slot tournament there once! My biggest PO was the
Drunk across the hall that got tossed out of his room by his shack job.
She wouldn't let him back in, so he spent the night going up and down
the halls banging on doors, wanting a place to sleep. After 3 calls to
security and no response I gave up and turned the TV on as loud as
I could stand and tried to sleep. He never banged on my door, I guess
he knew my window opened over the alley, several story's from the
ground! Amazing how a drunk knows that??
Zydeco

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, fun to read. I really appreciate the pix of the old motel signs. I once rented a car JUST to drive 4th Ave and take photos. Some really mid century examples. Love the cheesy Mardi Gras one. Thanks again!
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Wed 21, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Great report! Reply with quote

Thanks for the entertaining and colorful report, Mjames. Sounds like you had way too much fun and not enough sleep - Perfect!

Oh yeah, about the links thing - you now owe me two computers (not that I'm counting or anything).
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: May Sat 31, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip report mjames! You really know how to capture the details, no doubt.

I totally hear you about the "property fascination." Gotta admit I'm the same way about the Cal Neva and Harrah's.

It's hilarious there's mention of the "guy in the ad". Based on some TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews I've seen, some people actually complained about one particular ad that showed a couple checking in to the hotel. He was both the man and the woman! haha

The motel sign pics are awesome. I'm regretting not taking any more during my time there. I think it would be awesome for Reno to someday set up a sign graveyard similar to the one in Vegas to keep this nostalgia alive in the future.

Very interesting lounge in the bowling stadium, for sure.

By chance, was the $200 hit you got on the Nevadan the one on the outer part of "the circle?" If so, I think I recognized it, as that was my top hitter. I call her "blue face!"

I always wondered about that jalapeņo popper sandwich. Thanks for the heads up!

Mammothgambler
mjames1229

PostPosted: Oct Mon 05, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Across the Reno Grande... Reply with quote

mjames1229 wrote:
There were some TVs playing an endless loop of commercials, and it seemed that every-other-commercial was for the buffet. Due to video trickery, there was only one actor, but about a dozen versions of him, each carrying a different plate of food towards the camera (as in a single-file line... first it was him in a black shirt carrying one dish and turning left, then in a red shirt carrying a different dish turning right, black shirt left, and so on). But in each version of him, he was making a face. I think it was supposed to be "Hey, look at this good plate of food" but instead it looked like (sorry in advance) a stereotypical special needs person that could possibly be drooling in the plates. It was like a car wreck that I couldn't turn away from.

https://youtu.be/skFNFpaZjgU?t=13

I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!! I FOUND IT!!!!

Amazing how YouTube works, but I was looking for something so not Ferenc Szony, and fell into a rabbit hole of Sands commercials.

I realize that life has changed in the past six years... BUT THIS COMMERCIAL DIDN'T!

(Now, however, I am going to spend the night re-reading this trip report. There are worse things, I guess...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: