Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We did it again...(Las Vegas)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Las Vegas and other inferior places
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jan Tue 05, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: We did it again...(Las Vegas) Reply with quote

I regret to inform the board that we spent tourist dollars at Reno's reprehensible, ne'er-do-well, and totally immature brethren Las Vegas over the last few days of the year.

And that does include, yes, New Year's Eve. I won't bore you the way I have in past such reports, which tended to dwell on every detail as though it were of equal importance, and we know that most of what can be said about this ludicrous destination has been espoused heavily before, so here are the salient points:

Three nights at MGM Grand, which is frankly not that grand. However, the rates were good except for New Year's Eve, which, while outrageous, was not outrageous in the manner that usually prevents participation.

Whatever resort fees we complain about in dear old Reno are difficult to find even under a microscope when compared to LV's strip-level shearings: $33.60 a night was the base, but of course, there was a local tax as well, and then, in a final insult so absurd as to be worthy of an episode of "The Simpsons", a tax on the resort fee *itself* - so put that in your El Dorado pipe, and smoke it.

Food on the property was, of course, equally painful to pay for: one 'fast-food' meal that consisted of a Philly Cheese steak, a chili dog, and a beer, cost over thirty-two dollars. Breakfast in the 'coffee shop' one morning came out to an even fifty bucks. (this is for two people mind you: your interlocutor, Stan, and Mrs. Allen)

But hey, no one comes here to count pennies. We enjoyed a swanky new year's eve dinner at "Julian Serrano" in the Aria (celebrity chef-tapas-style,, which is good enough to feel as though you have tasted high society cuisine without breaking the bank).

Gaming? Pfft. Table minimums too irritating for Stan, so I utilized one of those electronic deals where people are sitting at terminals in a semi-circle, and the dealing and such is done table-style - but I deliberately chose one that had no phony t.v. image of a young, female dealer; that particular version is just too insulting. But, a few doubles favored me and I won TEN DOLLARS! Oh, and I think I wasted two bucks on a slot the first night, but that was it.

We also enjoyed the Vegas "Premium Outlets" - there are deals to be had, and an international contingent is heavily present, scooping up cheap designer clothes right before heading to the airport for its return flights.

Oh, and we finally got to see a "Show" - it was "Jersey Boys", which is not, strictly speaking, a "Vegas" show - but it was a good production, and we enjoyed it quite a bit - who wouldn't want to hear loving tributes to Frankie Valli and the four seasons? The only thing I couldn't understand was that during the musical numbers, the majority of the audience appeared to be sitting completely still - no toe-tapping, no knee-slapping, no head-bobbing, nothing - did these patrons not come to the show to hear MUSIC?? I just don't get people sometimes...

Those are the noteworthy points; the rest is pretty much as you might imagine - an unbelievable crowd level on the strip on New Year's Eve, forcing us to retreat to the room well before midnight (we had our Veuve-Clicque champagne stashed away for private imbibing), kinda-cool fireworks from a "Partial" view, intense cold, and interminable driving.

Sorry!
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan Sat 09, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Token trips to L V are allowed. Reply with quote

Not to worry Stan. We've all done it at some point in time. One almost has to go check it out Vegas once a decade or so, since in that time period they've usually torn most of it down and spent trillions putting up new ultra giga resorts. And the fountains are pretty nice. And I kinda like downtown - reminds me of Reno in it's heyday.

But, MGM "Grand" indeed! They've got some nerve! Maybe "Grand" just means big. At 5000 + rooms, they do have a pretty big hotel there.

Stan, you're alligence to Reno remains beyond reproach. If we happen to meet there sometime, perhaps we can raise our glasses (or beer bottles) in a toast to Reno, at the bar of your choosing. As long as it's at the Cal Neva Grand!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jan Mon 11, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: "I'm here all year!" Reply with quote

We will indeed toast our Reno-ism at some point! I do indeed think of the Cal-Neva as the truly "Grand" offering!

And yes, you do have to 'check-in' to Vegas every now and then, just to see what version they're up to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Las Vegas and other inferior places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: