Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would YOU make?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zydeco

PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: What would YOU make? Reply with quote

My birthday is usually spent in Reno.

This year for my birthday I've asked my Reno Traveling Group for a Zoom Cocktail & Dinner Party. The theme? RENO INSPIRED. Like I had to tell you all that.

My drink will be a Smith & Wesson. It was our first trip to Reno (1992...holy shit) and we learned craps at the SL. We were at that table for, and I kid you not, 6 hours. At the end, they comped us dinner for bringing so much action to the table on a slow day. What a ball. The cocktail goddess suggested this drink for me and I had them all day/night (?) long. Yep, nostalgic for sure.

My dinner? Still deciding. Do I do Steak Diane and Caesar salad (Harrahs R.I.P.), an Awful Awful (Nugget R.I.P.), Basque (we visit Louies' every visit), a cheap steak & eggs (a la Cal-Neva), Italian (sending love to Casale's and the family), or mushroom ravioli (LaStrada).

What would YOUR dinner & drink be?
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: 1995 maybe? Reply with quote

I had this 'not too sure about that' type feeling about your 1992 date. Looked up Silver Legacy's opening date - July 28, 1995

Right up to the year 2000 or so, we used to get 2 for 1 prime rib dinners at the Top Deck in the Cal Neva. They included a salad bar too. Dinner for two - $5.00! It was really good too! I'd love to do that again! But, probably the nicest meals we had (and could only have again in our dreams) were at the top of the Flamingo.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 05, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: The Drink Reply with quote

Heineken or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Zydeco

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG you are totally correct and I confirmed with the other two Reno Travelers.

They both reminded me that our 1992 visit was to the Peppermill (long ago, purple theme, near the Adventure Inn) when we came because of some cheap junket flight. We actually think it was 1993 and to say we drank a lot that visit is an understatement. Hazy memories for all three of us.

Our second visit was Harrahs and somewhere in those early years was Atlantis and we even flew Reno Air a few times.

We were at Silver Legacy and one of the travelers remembers we were there as the dome was under construction. We stayed at SL shortly after they opened and have stayed since. BUT we did learn craps there and did get comped and did drink.

Thanks for the clarification....guess I had too many Smith & Wessons?
Zydeco

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two for 1 Prime Rib at Cal-Neva?! OH YES!

Never did make it to the top of the Flamingo. Had some good gaming there (even when it changed to the Golden Phoenix).
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: They'll get ya every time! Reply with quote

Well, I actually haven't tried a Smith and Wesson (drink or otherwise). But, I am familiar with the alcohol related memory issues. But hey - You got the right decade and right town. Two outta three!

This picture accurately indicates my state of consciousness while walking from the Cal Neva to the Eldorado in 2014. My memory of that evening is even less clear.

SeahawkSiren

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zydeco - what a great idea and of course Reno theme is a must! I think your Zoom meeting should be pre-dinner drinks, dinner, and post-dinner dessert. Ha ha!

Pre-dinner vodka martinis (shout-out to Roxy's at Eldorado). Then a nice, heavy on the carbs Italian dinner with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (In honor of Cafe Andreotti and Harrah's. R.I.P. to both. Cafe Andreotti was the Italian restaurant at Harrah's prior to its conversion to a steak house - I used to love eating at Andreotti and would always ask for a window table so I could see the lights of Cal Neva. I never set foot in there again once Andreotti closed down). Then several hours later before calling it a night, top it off with a late night piece of pie or cake (shout-out to Millies at Eldorado, although I preferred the name Tivoli Gardens myself).

So sorry you can't go to Reno for your birthday this time around. The Silver (Legacy) Lining is your 2022 trip will be your 30th anniversary of going to Reno and that will be a major celebration and an EPIC trip to look forward to!

BC Dave - Just like Zydeco, I never made it to the top of the Flamingo either.

Your photo does capture my state of consciousness on most Reno trips. Well done!
Zydeco

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are GREAT choices, Siren!

Cafe Andreotti? MEMORIES! I also loved watching the lights of the Cal-Neva from those seats and that was our go to with the Dinner & Show package at Sammy's Showroom. Greg Thompson Productions? Can you say Lipstick? And Skintight was legendary.

Once they closed that place, we found ourselves loving the Steakhouse in the basement. Side note: I reached out to an RGJ reporter to see what they are doing with the sign outside the Steakhouse (I want one of the red crystals)...going to storage was the answer.

And for the record: Yes to Tivoli Gardens. All the way.

Finally, I"m thinking at least one of our nine travelers will be making something inspired by Roxy's. I bet it's the Lucky Leprechaun......
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 06, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Coffee shop names Reply with quote

Really, why change these great coffee shop names - Tivoli Gardens becomes Mollies? And The Sweet-Water Café becomes Café Central?? How can you beat a name like Sweet-Water Café? Ugh!

The 'Virtual Reno' zoom meeting is pure genius.

During that fateful, first Reno trip (Jan 1985), my gang from work all met at least once a day at Tivoli Gardens which was much smaller back then. Prices were really, really good and the food was fantastic. I'm 80-90% sure that this beautiful stained glass ceiling 'skylight' (that's out in the Lobby/Hallway now) was once in the center of the Tivoli Garden coffee shop. So glad they preserved it.

Keyhood

PostPosted: Dec Thu 10, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAPPY BIRTRHDAY AND WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Keyhood

PostPosted: Dec Thu 17, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Had some good gaming there. Reply with quote

Had some good gaming there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: